Cadogan Square is an exclusive residential area in Chelsea, built by the Cadogan and Hans Place Estate Company between 1877 and 1890. The chair of the Estate at the time had a close connection with J. J. Stevenson, an influential advocate of the emerging Queen Anne style and prescribed that all new development should adopt the red brick idiom as its template, promoting individuality through detail. 61 Cadogan Square is a notable building within the Hans Town Conservation Area and the only purpose-built mansion flat block within the square. It was given Grade II Listed Building status in 1977.
We were initially contacted by the client to assist with achieving Listed Building consent for the removal of a single internal partition wall. The brief rapidly expanded resulting in the full refurbishment of the property. We provided consultancy advice to the client and negotiated with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC) Conservation Officer on a wide range of issues relating to the historical significance of the building.
We achieved approval of all planning conditions for the complete refurbishment of the apartment together with additional consents required by The Cadogan Estate to ensure that their own specific requirements, as the freehold owner, were complied with. We undertook the role of project manager and contract administrator to the conclusion of the project.