The former Martock Fire Station is a Grade II listed building constructed in the eighteenth century and located within the Martock and Bower Hinton Conservation Area. It is noted in the listed building text as being a former outbuilding, possible coach house to the adjacent Manor Farm. The building was acquired in 1930 to accommodate the first motor fire engine, previous engines having been kept under the Market House. The fire station is adjacent to the site of the former Burfield Glove Factory which is to be redeveloped to provide 6 dwellings, giving a total of 7 dwellings including the fire station.
We were approached to prepare concept design drawings to convert the former fire station into a three-bedroom dwelling. The existing interior space was over two floors with large open spaces at ground-floor level. The proposals seek to retain the open spaces as living accommodation and access the first floor via the existing timber stair as recommended by Historic England.